Vegan Banana Bread
I have never been a huge fan of banana bread. On the rare and unenjoyable occasion that I eat it, it is normally just to be polite because someone has given it to me. When I was young my mother used to make a banana cake topped with chocolate frosting and I remember countless occasions when my older brother and I suffered through eating it, because we had been fooled into thinking it was chocolate cake.
In vegan baking, however, bananas (as well as ground dates) sort of make up for lack of proteins that would otherwise be present if you were using milk or eggs. I've found that this banana bread made by my good friend Chef Matt Blandy has an incredibly pleasant texture, a medium size crumb (which is appealing to the eye) as well as a great flavour.
- 4 Medium size bananas, ripe or over ripe
- 1 1/2 cups Nextjen Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup oil (I used sunflower oil, but any vegetable oil will do)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Sunflower seeds (optional but add to stability of product)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a loaf pan with whichever type of oil you are using.
- Slice bananas into a bowl (if using frozen bananas, make sure that they are defrosted) and add sugar. Mash or puree the banana sugar mixture well, it should be rather fluid when you are done.
- Stir the oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the banana mixture with a spatula.
- Set a sieve (or a sifter) over the bowl and sift the cake mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt directly into the banana mixture.
- Fold in flour until it is very well incorporated (this is very important for an even texture in your bread).
- Fold in sunflower seeds.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I checked mine at 20 minutes and then every 5 after that to avoid over-baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before loosening the edges with a knife and inverting onto a cooling rack.
Nextjen Gluten-Free https://nextjen.ca/