When it comes to enjoying summer time, nothing quite does it like lemon. Lemons are extremely versatile and are used by chefs for virtually anything, from savoury to sweet.
Back when I used to work at The Pear Tree (a restaurant in Vancouver), I made a lemon tart every single day. Each day that I woke up, I knew that no matter what, rain or shine, I would be making a lemon tart. Even though my lemon tart days are far behind me, I wanted to kickstart our gluten-free summer with something lemon-y, so I decided to try my good friend chef Matt Blandy’s vegan lemon poppyseed loaf recipe.
Yield: 1 small loaf
2 cups Nextjen Pancake and Waffle mix
2 Tbsp poppyseed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a small loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together Nextjen mix, poppyseeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, syrup, water, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
4. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk until combined.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. (I suggest checking at 20 minutes and then every 5 to avoid over-baking).