← Return to previous page
Persian Muffins With Chickpea Crumble
Yields 8 Prep Time 15 min Cook Time 20 min Total Time 35 min
Ingredients for the Muffin
- 6-8 Strands saffron
- 1 Orange zested
- 1 Lemon zested
- 15 g or 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 40 g or 3 tbsp Water
- 100 g or 1/2 cup Plain yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 20 g or 2 tbsp Zirisk (barberries)
- 20 g or 2 tbsp Slivered almonds or pistachios
- 90 g or 1/3 cup Melted butter
- 125 g or 1 cup Yellow sugar
- 180 g or 1 cup +2 tbsp Nextjen All Purpose Baking Blend (flour)
- 11 g or 2 tsp Baking soda
- 25 g or 2 tsp Chickpea crumble (or toasted chickpea flour)
Ingredients for the Chickpea Crumble
- 100 g or 1/2 cup White sugar
- 100 g or 1/2 cup Toasted chickpea flour
- 50 g or 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 g or 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 g or 1/2 tsp Rose water
- 2 g or 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 2 g or 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 g or 1/4 tsp Ginger
Instructions for Muffin
- In an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, mix saffron, zests, lemon juice, water, yogurt, eggs, nuts, zirisk, melted butter and sugar for 2 minutes (should turn yellow from the saffron).
- Add flour, baking powder and chickpea crumble and mix for 1 minute.
- Scoop batter into buttered or paper-lined muffin tins.
- Sprinkle more chickpea crumble on top of muffins and bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
Instructions for Chickpea Crumble
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, by hand.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 250°F for 10-15 minutes.