← Return to previous page
Cheddar Cheese Scones
Yields 8 Prep Time 15 min Cook Time 15 min Total Time 30 min
- 270 g or 1 3/4 cup Nextjen All Purpose Baking Blend (flour)
- 5 g or 1 tsp Baking powder
- 4 g or 1 tsp Salt
- 2 g or 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 150 g or 3/4 cup Cold butter (cubed)
- 1 pinch Cayenne (optional)
- 100 g or 1/2 cup Grated sharp cheddar cheese (substitute any cheese with a similar texture)
- 2 Eggs
- 90 g or 1/3 cup Buttermilk (85 g of milk + 5 g apple cider vinegar)
- Mix dry ingredients with cold butter in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment, until the butter is pea sized.
- Add the cheese, mixing until just combined.
- Beat the egg and buttermilk together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet mix into the flour mixture and mix for 30 seconds, just until dough comes together.
- Scrape dough onto a surface sprinkled with sweet rice flour.
- Form into a rectangle with hands and cut into 8-9 large triangles, or 10-12 smaller rounds.
- Place scones on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Egg wash the top of each scone (can be sprinkled with additional grated cheese if you wish).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°F.
- Test temperature with a probe to reach 87-95°C (190-200°F).
- **3-4 tsp fresh chopped herbs or 2-3 tbsp bacon bits can be added with the cheese if you wish.